If you are interested in being a part of Great Beast please read the following information before getting in touch with us.
- Great Beast is a home for fun, exciting and accessible comics suitable for a wide age range. We found it odd that most publishers seem adverse to comics as entertainment, which is why Great Beast was set up. We are looking for comics that fit this bill, whatever the genre. Before submitting to us, ask yourself honestly “Would your comic appeal to most people?” (not most comic fans, most people). We don’t insist that all of our titles are child friendly but we do believe there should be something which appeals to, and is suitable for, a teenager as well as an adult audience. There are plenty of publishers producing only mature, literary, “highbrow” titles; Great Beast is proud to be more diverse.
- Great Beast is a publishing banner for professionally self published comics by some of the best independent comic creators working in the UK. This means the funding for each print run is the responsibility of the respective creator. In other words, Great Beast will not pay to print your comic. We have a system for sales and distribution which will be explained if an agreement to be part of Great Beast is made.
- Great Beast maintains a level of professionalism across all of it’s titles. This means that we work with the best printers in the UK for lithographic or digital printing. We also insist on a minimum print run of 1000 copies of each issue we produce. This is twice as much as some print runs from other UK comic publishers. This is so there are enough copies available to reach a wide audience and fulfill orders at the many comic and book shops we work with as well as to bring to numerous comic shows. It also reduces the cost per issue so the comic is more profitable for the creator.
- To aid sales in a variety of shops, Great Beast insists on registering our titles with the British Library and including ISSN and ISBN numbers for serial publications and books respectively. We also include barcodes on many of our titles for this same reason. ISSNs are free to titles that apply, but ISBNs are bought in bulk and shared among the creators. Barcodes are bought individually.
- In order to reach as many people as possible we provide all our titles as digital downloads and print editions whenever possible. Excluding samplers of our titles, we do not intend to release digital only comics.
- Great Beast has no preference when it comes to working with sole creators or writer/artist teams. However, if you are an artist or a writer looking to work with someone on an independent comic, we cannot help you find someone to work with. We suggest getting to know comic folks on Twitter and asking people politely if they’d like to work with you. Linking to a blog post with more details of your idea or project is advisable. It also helps to have examples of your previous work online for people to see too.
- Currently, there are no plans for a Great Beast anthology of any kind. If you are looking for someone to publish your short comic story, we suggest getting in contact with the editors of the many UK based anthologies that have appeared over the last few years. If you don’t know of any, it’s time to do a little research.
If after reading all that you think your comic would be at home in the Great Beast catalogue and that self publishing to this level is possible for you, then please get in touch via our Contact Page, we’d be very interested in hearing from you.